Leadership job description – Covid related
The world after COVID-19 will be different, and we don’t know yet exactly what it will look like. We do know that leadership will come under more scrutiny and pressure, leadership skills will be subject to a new dynamic, and the focus in both the private and public spheres is on keeping up momentum.
Values that will be prized:
- Moral leadership
Skills that an experienced leader should demonstrate:
- Vision and ability to inspire – capacity to motivate large groups of people toward a common goal
- Wisdom and understanding of how people and systems operate – beyond political mechanics
- Fact- and science-based decision-making – data, data, and more data and the ability to correctly, timely and decisively draw conclusions
- Agility – constant change is part of every aspect of doing business
These skills aren’t necessarily new; they have always been a part of the job description for leadership positions. And many great leaders have possessed them. But in times of dramatic change, companies and governments alike must operate by the most fundamental of values.
Companies and governments that choose leaders according to a different set of skills and values are exposing themselves. In the coming months, they might learn that:
- Leaders with a lack of vision will the lose moral authority to lead.
- Playing it safe will be dangerous.